Thanks for viewing...

Thank you for coming to visit my new blog. I hope you find it useful in taking Direct Action in your life and our world. Also let's become a community: https://www.edmodo.com/sunnydawnshiner

Thursday, July 12, 2012

how did Teacher Unions become the AntiChrist Overnight?

Arizona Administrator in California her "home" for the Summer

So yesterday my partner had a visitor that came for about a half an hour.  I was in the middle of looking for my bathing suit and could not give as much attention to our visitor as I wanted.  However I tried to be polite and find the time to sit down and "catch up" with this person I've met once before when I was on vacation in Arizona (in the winter of course).

Well bottom line I was so over the conversation and the path is was taking right away.  She knows I believe in Union organizing and the beginning of our conversation I started to talk about maybe going into administration.  "...well I can't stand the Unions.  They keep bad teachers in the schools."

I replied, "That argument is at this point propoganda for people who do not know all the other work that teacher unions do as well. For example, I get paid for 35 hours of work if I was in a nonunionized charter school I would work sun up to sun down in the name of children. I no one would care if I have a family I need to go home to."

Her reply, "Well that is teaching for you."

"NO, well what about the mailman?  You don't see him staying past the time the union/district agreed he should work because there is more mail?  The union has been there for my family.  For example, when my mom became disabled due to osteoperosis and the school didn't want to make any adjustments for her, who was there for her?  The Union."

At this point, I have to admit, the search for my bathing suit started to become more important than my partner's guest who was looking like  this "administrator in my living room".

We ended the conversation because it was becoming to heated and it was not the right space. However the question that lingers in my mind, how did Teacher Unions become the AntiChrist Overnight?

I'm sorry but where is the firing of administrators and the administrator's union in all this?

In San Francisco we have a Peer Evaluation Process when a teacher is bad and this was implemented because of our union.

How about the discussion be opened up to the fact that new teachers are taught using "trial by fire" methods in this country and no one seems to give a damn if they some how make it through.

Moral of the story, when looking for a bathing suit in a hurry and an someone in your own living room says I am not for the Union, put on the the Union Tshirt and tell them the best taqueria for the "summer home vacation" and go back to looking for the bathing suit.


No comments:

Post a Comment